The Greater Columbus Convention Center underwent a $125,000,000 upgrade over the past two years that included an interior renovation as well as an expansion and redesign of the north end of the center. HEAPY provided Mechanical-Electrical design for the project.
Highlights of the project include:
- Adding 37,000 SF of new exhibit space, bringing contiguous space to 373,000 SF.
- Adding 10,000 SF of two-level meeting space with 10 new rooms with outside windows, bringing a total of 74 meeting rooms to the facility.
- LEED certification (Leadership in Energy & Environment Design).
- Upgrading the Convention Center and Hyatt Regency meeting rooms, ballrooms, and public spaces in the areas of finishes, wall coverings, way-finding, technology, sound systems, ceilings, carpeting, social seating, and lighting.
- Several meeting rooms as the Union Station Ballroom (formerly the Grand Ballroom) are complete and have hosted groups.
- A full renovation of the exterior of the Convention Center featuring cleaning and repairing the façade, adding enhancements to guide attendee arrival and navigation with way-finding, replacing doors, and transforming pick-up and drop-off points.
- A new large, two-level open atrium entrance on the north end with beautiful natural light features and elegant tile. This more prominent entrance at Goodale Boulevard and North High Street will better connect the convention center and the vibrant Short North Arts District. It also will be used for pre-function space.