The Main Library in Downtown Dayton, as part of the $187 million system-wide building project, was being renovated and expanded at the existing location in Cooper Park. The renovation also created a new underground parking area for patrons on the lower levels of the building.
Moving “behind-the-scenes” staff functions such as Collection Development and IT to an offsite operations center has created a significant gain in public space at the Main Library possible. The current public space has now increased from 28,000 SF to 100,000 SF.
Key features include:
- Easy access to new and popular materials on the first floor and improved browsing throughout
- An enclosed quiet reading room and two comfortable reading areas with park views
- Enhanced technology including more public computers, a computer lab, and convenient, upgraded power and Wi-Fi connectivity
- An exciting and creative children’s program room, story corner, and enclosed outdoor area
- Teen room designed for homework, gaming, activities, and gathering
- Flexible spaces for innovative library and community programs and partnerships
- Auditorium and Theatre
- Tutoring, group study, and audiovisual suites
- Coffee Bar/Café
Planning for the New Normal
In Planning for the NEW NORMAL, we must provide ways to make the built environment safe and healthy. What Strategic Operations Planning is necessary to ensure your Organization and its facilities, equipment, and people are prepared for the “What’s Next?”